April 13, 2010

Various Updates

Okay, so there are lots of things to update. I will post pictures later, but suffice it to say that yes, I did get a new sewing machine, and no, my old machine is STILL not repaired. The new machine is a Singer Confidence, and this baby zings through fabric, backing, bias tape, and anything else like nobody's business. I'm serious. This thing flies.

Other updates: I've been working on the circle quilt, and hope to have the last of the circles appliqued to the blocks in the next day or so. Then I get to lay it out and start connecting the blocks into rows that will eventually be sewn together to make the quilt top. Now that I have my new machine, complete with walking foot and darning/free motion foot, I am ready for some serious quilting. Honestly, I can't wait to try quilting for the first time.

I've been working really hard around the house, and it's nice to finally be in a position (mostly related to not being in the 9-5 grind anymore) that I can make my home my own. It's like a surge of creativity has erupted and I see projects that will make a huge difference in how homey our house can feel. I started a plate wall in the kitchen this weekend, and am finished other than going back to get a couple more plate hangers for additional Depression glass that I want to hang. It really is beautiful, even though it's not complete. We did a lot of cleaning in the playroom, and I called a guy this morning who is going to come back tomorrow and clean out some junk from the backyard. There is an old refrigerator and some old furniture that he will haul away, and I swear, once that is gone, I'll be ready to make our back yard a warm, inviting place to be. My idea for the backyard includes a copper firepit, some vintage wrought iron chairs, and new hanging baskets for the eaves of the barn. We also want to get a nice swing set for the kids so that we can enjoy being outside with them.

I guess that's pretty much it. Like I said, I'll add some pictures soon.

Oh wait, while I'm thinking about it, I did make another art bag for a friend of Evie's. Here are a couple of pics of that. The recipient loves elephants, so I found a pattern online and appliqued this elephant for the front of the bag.


Here is a picture of the inside of the bag.

It wasn't perfect, but seeing the huge smiles that ensued when L. saw her new bag just made my heart so happy. All my perfectionism just melted away. It's so great to be able to make something for someone and see them take so much joy from it.

Okay, more later...

No comments: